Technorati blog directory

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Barack Hussein Obama ~ A Racial Reflection From The Heart

 

















Barack Hussein Obama: ...unless we perfect our union by understanding that we may have different stories, but we hold common hopes; that we may not look the same and we may not have come from the same place, but we all want to move in the same direction – towards a better future for our children and our grandchildren.

Barack Hussein Obama: I was raised with the help of a white grandfather who survived a Depression to serve in Patton’s Army during World War II and a white grandmother who worked on a bomber assembly line at Fort Leavenworth while he was overseas.

Me: I was raised with the help of my mother’s sisters and brothers and recall secret visits to visit my white grandmother when my grandfather -- who was a farmer -- was gone on errands. My grandmother was not allowed to drive. But she was quick with a garden hoe when rattle snakes would wonder by as she hung laundry out on the clothes line.

Barack Hussein Obama: I am the son of a black man from Kenya and a white woman from Kansas.

Me: I am the west coast daughter of a Native American / African American Man and an Irish and French Canadian woman.


Barack Hussein Obama: I am married to a black American who carries within her the blood of slaves and slaveowners – an inheritance we pass on to our two precious daughters. I have brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, uncles and cousins, of every race and every hue, scattered across three continents, and for as long as I live, I will never forget that in no other country on Earth is my story even possible.

Me: I am married to an Irish American, whose father immigrated as a young boy and spoke Gaelic at home till the day he died. My grandfathers people emigrated from Ireland, were considered 'black Irish' Protestants -- until the family made their way to the west coast and transformed into Catholics. My heritage also includes the original Native people of this land and the free black American relatives who many became the 'first', one of which became one of two first black police officers in the city of my birth.

Barack Hussein Obama: This is not to say that race has not been an issue in the campaign. At various stages in the campaign, some commentators have deemed me either “too black” or “not black enough.”

Me: I saw Barack Hussein Obama as a person of mixed heritage, like me.

Barack Hussein Obama: But the truth is, that isn’t all that I know of the man.

Me: The truth is, I have been judged many times by those that do not know me. The waitress who refused me service to buy a cup of hot tea to carry out because she was too busy.

Barack Hussein Obama: Like other predominantly black churches across the country, Trinity embodies the black community in its entirety

Me: After many wonderful experiences visiting other churches, I chose spiritualism over religion.

Barack Hussein Obama: These people are a part of me. And they are a part of America, this country that I love.

Me: A grandfather who was absolutely 'mean' to my sister and I, was still my mother’s father. One day when I was older, he shared an Oreo cookie with me and helped me to write my name in cursive. That was the only day of kindness he was able to show me - he acknowledged me as a person and that is the memory I keep close to my heart. A half brother who experienced a summer of being a skin head, which didn't see me among the ones his new found friends hated. A teenaged best friend who told racist jokes until one day I asked her to please stop. So many other stories and these people are all a part of me and they are a part of America, this country that I love.

Barack Hussein Obama: What’s remarkable is not how many failed in the face of discrimination, but rather how many men and women overcame the odds; how many were able to make a way out of no way for those like me who would come after them.

This time we want to talk about the men and women of every color and creed who serve together, and fight together, and bleed together under the same proud flag.

Invited to Wrestle in a Racial Mud Pit, Obama Soars Above It By Courtland Milloy
Washington Post Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"Then Obama spoke, and I had a mind-altering experience."

"After hearing him deliver what was essentially a treatise on faith, hope and charity, I no longer wanted to risk getting stuck in a racial tar pit with Buchanan or any of the others."


from Bill at .Common Sense Obama Speech on Race posted 03-18-08
"This was one of the tasks we set forth at the beginning of this campaign – to continue the long march of those who came before us, a march for a more just, more equal, more free, more caring and more prosperous America."

Happy ________________ Day! "The bottom line is that there must be a separation of church and state." by awakening Monday, March 17, 2008 "I have to say it is definitely time for a "Happy Hussein Day."

Barack Hussein Obama fits right in this list of presidents with Semitic names Sunday, March 16, 2008 by awakening

"If Barack Obama becomes the next President of the United States, the majority of the people in this country seem ready to leave hate behind. Healing old wounds to unite 'All' people around the future of the world."

"If Hillary Clinton becomes the next President of the United States, the majority of the people of this country seem ready to leave hate behind. Uniting on the ground of equality for 'All' for the future of the world."

In A Good Way ~ It's All About Hillary too! Monday, July 30, 2007 "None of these groups found enjoyment with the other, so I traveled between them. Never thought much about why it was that way, though. Funny, I always called myself a cameleon too."









Link Link

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

DOES OBAMA EVEN KNOW WHO HE AND HIS DESPICABLE PASTOR HAVE OFFENDED MOST, AND WHY HIS FAVORABILITY RATING IS IN FREEFALL?

Why is a guy who grew up a rich kid with a Kenyan father and Southern White mother (no ties to being a slave whatsoever) lecturing Northern Whites regarding the Civil War when it was our ancestors who fought and died in the Union Army to free the slaves?

Is Obama kidding or what? Yes, Senator Obama, let’s have a discussion about race in America and then maybe you’ll understand why you are in absolute freefall against John McCain in States like New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and Michigan. You ripped a scab off of a wound that we didn’t deserve to have inflicted in the first place.

Lexi

March 19, 2008 5:48 AM  
Blogger Awakening said...

Lexi, you have raised another layer of concern about Senator Obama's speech about race that I've heard among others close to me. We can't go back and meet all of the diverse groups that were trying to help end slavery. Not only Northern 'whites' but all kinds of people were helping, including those that lived in the south and those that were enslaved. People of Northern European decent do not own the 'End' of slavery, there were many people lending a helping hand.
I liked his speech because up until now, there has been no one in Senator Obama's situation to ever address the diverse nature of who we all are a part of. I took away something else from 'his' words...a vision of peace and forgiveness. Thank you and I look forward to your sharing more of your concerns. Off to work now. awakening

March 19, 2008 6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google