Technorati blog directory

Thursday, November 16, 2006

HAD ENOUGH ~ After 22 Years ~ A Straight Democratic Ticket

 
I labored over this decision, I stressed and I fumed. But, when I walked into the polling place, took a seat at an open table - not enough booths, then slid my huge cardboard voter ballot into the Diebold machine, the machine spit it back out and I carefully let the machine grab it again, per the poll worker. I did it! I am still an Independent, an indignant Independent, a revolting Independent and was an almost completely satisfied Independent.

National Triumph!

Adding 11/19/2006: My daughter, different polling place a few miles away, voting an hour apart, same district, same county, same township....her ballot also ejected and she had to gently re-insert, per the poll worker. Not sure why I didn't write this in in the first place, other than my thinking that it was weird. My friend...an Election Judge, in a different district said that if something was the matter with the ballot, then the machine would reject. When I told her that everything was completed - nothing wrong...she wasn't sure why that would happen except that the machines are very sensitive. I'll except that as the answer for now.

I wasn't thrilled that Michele Bachmann won over Patty Wetterling. Bachmann just doesn't fit the Repair and Restore Initiative - The reNewed Minnesota. She is a divisive fanatic and anti-diversity; her cultist beliefs are absolutely out of sink with a mainstream civil liberties equal rights initiative. So, sadly we in Anoka County are stuck with her as our United States House Representative. My hope is that she will continue to hang out in Minnetonka (not in our district) and Stillwater (not in our county) and we may just get by without too much more destruction to our entire 6th District.

I haven't voted straight ticket since the Mondale and Ferraro campaign...22 years ago. I went the Independent way after that election. A two party system does not add the check and balance, does not reflect everyone and does not guarantee that State and U.S. House or Senate work will get done on behalf of the little people. Proof....109th Congress.

Not till President Clinton, which I did vote for, was I eager to vote for a Democratic candidate. I was equally interested in the woman beside the man, too. A nice practical combination of two individuals that had mainstream credentials that reflected a broad array of ideas and beliefs that I could finally without a doubt relate to.

On November 7, 2006 I took my voice and my vote to local candidates that were solely DFL ~ Democratic-Farmer-Labor . I was an absent voter in 2004 (first time) because I couldn't find one candidate that spoke to me, my family needs, community angst or national rumblings. I was not willing to shelve my principles in order to cast my vote, to vote out rather than vote in.

This election forced me to do just that. All candidates but two were successful. The two that lost by small margins, were very important to my county and to my state. This time I took off my Independent blinders, pulled in my non-conformist reins, shook off the desire to mark the candidates I truly wanted and voted straight DFL. I voted to "Vote Out the Cult-like Majority." I voted to "Voice Out My Opinion" on many issues facing people in our nation. It was many issues, a long list of parallel concerns and issues pounding me on the head daily.

In one word...it was the deafening sound of "Imperialism" that I rejected on November 7, 2006.

I hope to never hear "I Serve at the Pleasure of the President," Ever Again!

However, the satisfaction of having a Democratic MN House and a MN Senate was worth my 'vote out' initiative, to keep the re-elected Governor (voted for Hatch) in check, while Repairing the Minnesota infrastructure. Having a Democratic US House and US Senate was well worth my 'vote out' initiative, to REPAIR the fabric of our democracy. As for the president, Now, he will be surrounded by elected officials who care about the nations people, in every pocket of the United States...I truly hope. Elected Officials who care about the well being of our nation through practical policy making at home and abroad.

I truly hope the new elected body will do what they said they will. If they fail in any part of their agenda, it is the Ruler of Executive Power who will have the last word. I truly hope the close inner circle of the president, continue to explain why the people sent this election message to him and his adoring fans.

Updates On ~ TPM Cafe Election Central Scoreboard

Published: November 26, 2006 The New York Times
Experts Concerned as Ballot Problems Persist
By IAN URBINA and CHRISTOPHER DREW

Saturday, November 18, 2006 Washington Post Staff Writer Raymond McCaffrey
ANNE ARUNDEL ELECTIONS Final Vote Tallies Appear to Give GOP The Edge in 3 Races Two Democrats Might Ask for Recounts

November 18, 2006 The New York Times Opinion
Editorial A Photo Finish in Connecticut

Thursday, November 16, 2006 The Washington Post - By Reuters 2 More Called Winners in House; 7 Races Undecided

Thursday, November 16, 2006 - The Washington Post By Robert J. Samuelson Can the Democrats Deliver

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - North Star Politics
Hatch/DFL Performance Analysis

Saturday,November 11, 2006 The Washington Post...Elections Are Not Over In Nine House Districts 6 GOP Incumbents Hold Slim Leads By Philip Elliott Associated Press.

National Voter Assistance Hotline
1-866-OUR-VOTE
Nonpartisan Election Protection Coalition

OR...

1-888-DEM-VOTE



Link Link

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a pretty good election wasn't it?

I googled to find out more about Bachman and found "Dump Michele Bachman" blog which seems to be still engaged even after the election.


A base on candidate opposition can be built that way too (though not in CA if the candidate is an aging movie star -- because the news media in CA depends so much on the movie and TV industry. It was terrible seeing all the lies and graft from Schwarzenegger being covered up so effectively by our state press. And now he's being touted nationwide as some kind of miracle worker. It is truly sad.)

Have a good Thanksgiving.

I like that technorati blog roll you have. I should try one. And I definitely need a profile pic too.

November 18, 2006 1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, to keep you from having to search for Dump Michele Bachman, I meant to put in the address too.

It's at http://dumpbachmann.blogspot.com/

November 18, 2006 1:38 PM  
Blogger Awakening said...

Hi,
Thank you for the web address. I have read Lloyd's 'Dump Michele Bachmann' blog. So funny that you did too. I also read some stuff on Wonkett(?) Lloyd sure is extremely helpful in keeping updated on Bachmann's activities.
You are right about his savvy Opposition project. I think I will add his link...Thank you for that idea. Some of us or maybe many...hope that she - Bachmann will open up 'All' the way and talk lots, while on the hill and just maybe she will get herself booted out. She is among the remnants of the 'Raptured' that our United States democracy will be tested by.
I sure feel for you all in California. I am a transplant from Southern California and hear bits and pieces about your Governor. I don't think I want to trade, yet. Now our re-elected Governor will attempt to do something with health care for children, after he helped to push about 37,000 people off of MN Care the last few years. Working and non-working People with children, people with disabilities and people with pre-existing conditions. People with no other way to get affordable health care.
The new Democratic MN House and Senate will keep him on a humane track, that I am sure of.

A Peaceful and Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

November 18, 2006 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google