Technorati blog directory

Monday, September 18, 2006

Barack Obama Visits Tom Harkins Iowa Steak Fry

 
I watched the 'Steak Fry' get together that Tom Harkins heads up yearly, who is a true blue down home guy. I tuned in to C-Span just to see what political climate Iowa was having. Even though we're neighboring states, my sister took delight several years in a row, in reporting how much snow she was getting compared to me. Me, who loves the snow and cold! She who hates the cold and snow!

Tom Harkin spoke words of logic and shared a message of unity (as he has always done)standing in front of a barn draped with the American flag. When he introduced Barack Obama as the invited 'Rock Star' for this years event at the fairgrounds, I became interested in hearing what he - Barack Obama had to say.

I had not jumped on the Barack bandwagon, nor had any interest in doing so. He was just a Democratic politician like others that I had heard snippets about...All good. But he belongs to Illinois and my attention span has been limited to those with sound track records that I have either known of for years (few) or new comers - especially new incoming - in Minnesota - especially the 6th district of Anoka County.

Anyway, I listened to Barack Obama speak and I watched as people attempted to get a handshake or a photograph. He seemed genuinely connected to the audience gatherers. The audience seemed to sincerely connect with Senator Obama. His words were plain, his stories real and his message hugs the world of common folk, like me.

Most of all, it was Barack Obama's personality that helped me to reflect on the words, the stories and his experience. All types of people were greeted in the crowd, not just politely, but nicely.

The one sentence that stayed with me out of a very heartfelt speech "Give companies who want to invest in America incentives, instead of giving tax breaks to companies who want to move jobs to other countries." If he is including outsourcing, than I think we may have a winner for 2008.


September 18, 2006 - Chicago Tribune By Tim Jones, National correspondent
A Contender

September 17, 2006 - The New York Times By Anne E. Kornblut
Indianola, Iowa, '08'Choice Is Clear
Link Link

2 Comments:

Blogger Rick said...

Obama is a terrific person, and a great Senator for Illinois. There is no doubt in my mind that he is destined for great things.

Thanks for the add!

Rick
(One Little Victory)

September 22, 2006 4:42 PM  
Blogger Awakening said...

Your welcome and I will be paying more attention to Senator Obama as we move past the 2006 elections.

September 23, 2006 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google